How do I put ladder chains on?
Rocky Valley staff will show you how to put the chains on your car. The information that follows is just to give you a general idea of what is involved.
It is very important that you put the chains on the correct tyres: front for front-wheel drive, back for rear-wheel drive. If you have a 4WD or all-wheel drive car, check your owner's manual for the manufacturer's recommendation. It may be front, rear or all depending on the design of your specific vehicle.
The steps involved in putting on ladder chains are
- Park where it is safe. It is a good idea to put a groundsheet or other protection on the ground to keep you clean and dry.
- Hold the inside loop (with the smaller hook) with both hands and fit it over the tyre.
- Drive forward or back into a position where you can do up the inside hook and link.
- Do up the outside as tight as reasonably possible.
- Drive 10-15 metres and re-tighten (usually only needed on the outside)
- Don't forget to tuck in loose links
To take off ladder chains
- Undo the outside first
- Undo the inside
- Pull the chains over the tyre (to the outside)
- Lay the chains flat on the ground
- Drive a metre to clear the chains
- Pack the chains away.
Rocky Valley staff will demonstrate and answer any questions when you hire chains.